FLORE VARCUS, GABRIELA DELIA CIOBANU, ALEXANDRU GRIGOROVICI, MARIUS VALERIU HINGANU, DELIA HINGANU, LETITIA LEUSTEAN BIOCHEMICAL MARKERS IN NODULAR GOITER IN CHILDREN INDICATIONS, METHODS AND OUTCOME OF THE SURGICAL TREATMENT
Nodular goiter is a rare condition in children and adolescents and compared with adults, thyroid nodules are more frequent malignant in pediatric population. We have investigated the prevalence of thyroid carcinoma among the thyroid disorder emphasizing on the surgical treatment in term of indication, methods and complications. Retrospective study of 35 children and adolescents with nodular goiter. Demographic data, thyroid ultrasonographic features, fine needle biopsy aspiration, hormonal profile, surgical treatment procedure as well as histological aspects were recorded. Study included 26 (74%) girls and 9 (26%) boys with a mean age of 11.66 years. Fine needle aspiration biopsy was performed in 10 cases due to the TIRADS score ³ 4 with Bethesda II in 3 cases, Bethesda III in 4 cases and Bethesda V in 3 cases. The surgical treatment was performed in 16 (45.7%) cases due to fine needle aspiration biopsy results or due to the relapse after medical treatment. Lobectomy was performed in 7 (43.7%) cases while total thyroidectomy was the final option for the rest of 9 (56.3%) patients. As a result of pathological examination in 8 cases the thyroid carcinoma has been found. The rest of 8 patients presented benign thyroid findings (follicular adenoma, toxic adenoma and Graves’ disease with follicular adenoma). The prevalence of thyroid carcinoma among the pediatric population with thyroid nodules was 22.8% most affected being the female gender.